Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 4: Web Quests AND Copyright and Ethics Issues

WebQuests by Alice Christie provided a comprehensive overview of WebQuests. The advantage of using these tools in the classroom far outweighs the teacher preparation time needed. WebQuests seem an ideal tool to integrate technology in that they provide a constructivist environment for students. They also seem to be authentic, problem-based assignments that can be highly engaging thus increasing student motivation.

Kathy Schrock's WebQuest Page is a great starting point for anyone wanting to create a WebQuest. She even provides a link to templates that teachers can download and individualize in a web editor. One of my favorite links was to a tutorial. The tutorial offered tips and insights into the making of a WebQuest that I have not seen elsewhere.

The New Plagiarism: Seven Antidotes to Prevent Highway Robbery in an Electronic Age should be required reading for all writing teachers. This is the first time that I have seen a step-by-step approach to teaching students how to take online notes. It shows a significant, and more relevant, change in the way we teach our students how to research. Although I always have the “talk” about plagiarism with my students, I sometimes forget that they need specific steps to help them break their habits. This language and process is simple enough for even my sixth graders to use.

Talking to Students About Cyber-Ethics provides a framework for explaining about copyright of software. Sample discussions and exercises are made available for use with children in grades 3-5. But, I think that this conversation should be had with middle grades as well. With the proliferation of music download sites, the talk could also center on music piracy. The article also provides a link to http://www.PlayItCyberSafe.com that would make a good follow-up activity. The site is divided into three sections, kids, parents, and teachers. The kids’ section offers fun, interactive games and more information about cyber-ethics.

3 comments:

Erika said...

I agree with you Patti, I also liked Kathy Schrock's WebQuest page. It has all kinds of information but what I liked the most were the templates because there just for a person like me who has never done or even used a WebQuest.

Mr. Colcord's Blog said...

I really liked how you admitted that you rarely sit down ahead of time to choose my keywords for searching. I never do that either. Instead I keep searching and redefining my search until I find what I need or get discouraged enough to stop and turn off the computer. The 3m approach would save me not only a lot of time, but a lot of stress too. It would do the same for my students.

Cheryl Myers said...

You have found the key to easy technology integration. Don't reinvent the wheel. Use oth,er peoples WebQuest.....why not they went through the process of doing the research and finding the sources. Also, there is no shame in using a template. Once you find a good template, you can plug in any type of content you want. I have used many WebQuest in my Kindergarten classroom.


Your comment on the Plagiarism article is great. It is definitely something all teachers should read and explain to their students. In this day in age most students do not produce their own. They have a hard time paraphrasing things in their own words, then in turn they are not comprehending the material they are reading.

Once again, great reflection.