Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 10: Evaluating Web Sites AND Standards

Evaluating Web Pages: Techniques to Apply & Questions to Ask and Evaluating Web Sites: Criteria and Tools both offer valuable tutorials on checking the validity of a web source. I already use some of these techniques such as googling the author. But, this was the first time that I heard of using alexa.com to check for other links. Both of these evaluation sites would be good instructional tools for use with my students. Many of them think that because something is on the web, it must be true. I would like to use these with one of the pages that I know is untrustworthy, perhaps the “tree cow” example that we discussed in class.

Like the author of Implementing the Standards into Projects, I too like to pull out my standards before planning any new unit. I have a binder at school and a copy on my desktop for home use. Frankly, it is the only way I know how to lesson plan. It keeps me focused on my end goal so that my projects don’t go off on a tangent. With so much to cover before AIMS each year, I can’t afford to go off on tangents.

2 comments:

Mr. Colcord's Blog said...

Our district is huge on standards based objectives. Therefore we post our content objective and our language objectives in our classrooms before each lesson. I like having them on my white board because I find myself frequently referring back to them during my lessons. The students seem to like them too. Like you, I look for the standards that I want first and then construct my plan.

Cheryl Myers said...

One of the teachers in my school have a flip chart of obj. that she puts together at the beginning of each week so that at the end of the day, one of the students' job is to turn the objective for the next day or if you don't get to one they are able to leave it for the following day. The line the top of her board so they are in sight at all times.